Friday 31 May 2013

The Double Yolker

In all three hundred odd eggs that our hens have so far laid we've been treated to two double yolks, both laid by Pepper.

I had always assumed that a double yolked egg would be indistinguishable from its counterparts until cracked - but so far this has not been the case. On both occasions Pepper has laid eggs that are decidedly bigger than her normal ones. Let me show you what I mean:


I know I've shown you pictures that look like this before, and they've been one bantam, one regular egg - so for a sense of scale lets bring one of Frog's eggs into the picture too:


Are you starting to get a sense of scale yet - these eggs are pretty big! Inside they look a little like this:


A great topping to pizza for two - shame about the broken yolk.


Lovely!

No comments:

Post a Comment